Junior Topics for the Group Debating Competition
24 October 2018
Heat 1: Co Down & Armagh
Tuesday 13 November 2018
Junior Topic: All Schools Should Be Integrated
- All schools should be integrated.
- Integrated schools help us have a more inclusive society.
- Integrated schools allow children to learn about others from different backgrounds in a safe and friendly way.
- Integrated schools help child see the similarities in each other instead of the differences.
- Integrated education helps future generations to want to work together to maintain peace.
- All schools should not be integrated.
- It is a parent’s choice on where their children are educated.
- Some subjects such as Religious Education are taught slightly differently in Catholic and Protestant schools.
- Young people should not have to give up their Cultural Identity while in school.
- Children can encounter bullying for being from a different background from someone else.
Heat 2: Co Antrim
Thursday 15 November 2018
Ballymoney High School
Junior Topic: Extra-Curricular Activities Add Extra Stress
- Extra-curricular activities add extra stress.
- Extra-curricular activities add additional pressure children to be good at everything.
- Extra-curricular activities can add financial pressure to parents.
- Children can feel pressure to be a part of every group/ club/ activity on offer and this can cause them to burn out.
- Extra-curricular activities can leave young people with little to no free time.
- Extra-curricular activities do not add extra stress.
- Extra-curricular activities are a way to relax after a hard day at school.
- Extra-curricular activities help you to make friends outside your normal social circles.
- Extra-curricular activities help you to discover new and different hobbies and interests.
- Extra-curricular activities help you develop skills that will help you in later life.
Heat 3: Co Londonderry, Fermanagh & Tyrone
Tuesday 20 November 2018
Magherafelt High School
Junior Topic: Mobile Phones Should Be Banned In School
- Mobile Phones should be banned in school.
- Mobile phones can be a distraction for many students.
- Bullying can occur via mobile phone and using mobiles in school could increase bullying.
- Mobile phone with access to the internet could be used to cheat in school exams.
- All phones have cameras on them and this could be used to take inappropriate pictures of others.
- Not having access to a mobile phone during break & lunch time in school can encourage children to become healthier.
- Mobile Phones should not be banned in school.
- Mobile phones help students stay safe and in contact with parents should an emergency occur.
- Apps on a mobile phone can help aid a student’s learning.
- Many schools are becoming more tech-savvy and using a mobile phone allows students to say on top of school work while on the move.
- Mobile phones are an important part of daily life past school age and schools should be. helping young people make appropriate use of mobile phones in school so they know how to use them appropriately in their working life.